Effective 9-2-2021, the new rules Create a Special Antlerless Deer Season in September, Extend Daily Hunting Hours, and Fluorescent Orange or Pink Clothing Requirement when Pursuing Big Game with a Firearm
The adopted changes:
- establish a 9-day season for antlerless deer in mid-September (9/11 – 9/19/2021) using firearms in WMUs 3M, 3R, 8A, 8F, 8G, 8J, 8N, 9A and 9F, and using bowhunting equipment in WMUs 1C, 3S, 4J, and 8C. Hunters may only use Deer Management Permits and Deer Management Assistance Permit tags in this season.
- restore antlerless harvest during the early muzzleloader season in Northern Zone WMUs 6A, 6F, 6J.
- extend the hunting hours for deer and bear to include the full period of ambient light from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset
- require anyone hunting big game with a firearm (or accompanying someone hunting big game with a firearm) to wear a solid or patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink hat, vest, or jacket.
- simplify bear hunting season in the Adirondack region by extending regular season to cover the entire hunting period.